Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lights Lights Lights, Lets Make Some Lamps!!



Jilly and I made our third lamp today. We had been out in the yard trying to get it under control~that is a process I'll tell you...sigh. We were trimming the Russian Sage bush when I had a great idea--we could use some of the trimmings to create a third lamp! I had a collection of sea shells from Kat's wedding and from our visit with Gretchen when she lived in Florida, along with some that she had brought to me. They made the perfect filler for the glass vase. (we picked up the vase for $5 at Tai Pan Trading)

We spray painted one of the branches white, did two blue and one with a mix of the blue and white. Then placed in the light "branch" from Rod Works. ($15) I think the results are stunning.




 This is the first lamp we made. Jilly picked out the large pink Gerber Daisies. (Gerber Daisies were from Rod Works) I curled the light "branch" we had gotten at Rod Works ($15) and we used glass pebbles for the filler. We used clear and a light blue.

Here you see where Jilly had lined up some of her shells she collected in Florida. She was 11 months old at the time she picked these up on the beach.






This is the second lamp we made. The filler in this one is some neutral stone. (Hobby Lobby $4) I picked out some fake branches that have purple beads on them instead of flowers. (also Hobby Lobby $2 per branch on sale) I thought they were fun and whimsical for what I wanted to do with them. I used the shorter light "branch" from Rod Works for this one. ($10)
This is the set up. The bird was a gift from Jilly as an early Mother's Day present. (I admit I helped her pick it out) we found it on clearance at Cracker Barrel. $12. I have to brag that one.

By our third lamp is a shell box that my Grandma gave me when I was 10 or 11. She passed away when I was 13. So it is really special to me and I've been waiting to find the perfect place to display it.
These are close ups of all three lamps. I'm excited to have them. They don't give off a lot of light but with all three of them it brightens up the room. There isn't an overhead light in that room so it makes it nice to have that light to play the piano.





Speaking of the piano, I'm excited to paint it soon. I just have to decide what color I want it. I know that it is tantamount to sacrilege to many musicians--I won't be touching the inside, just the outside. We purchased the piano from some friends of ours when they inherited a baby grand. Why do I want to paint it? Partly because I paint everything. (haha but kinda true...) and also because I want it to be a statement piece that draws little fingers to the keys. The room it is in is the Toy Room and there is so much whimsy and fun in the room. We brought the piano upstairs into that room when we carpeted the Family Room. As soon as it went in the Toy Room I knew I wanted to paint it. So just waiting on the decision as to what color I want.





The Alphabet Letters on the wall are vinyl. I love how they brightened up the wall from the Acorn. The Toy Room used to be a formal room, but we NEVER used it. It was just wasted space. Now this room gets lots of attention.






3 comments:

  1. Those are pretty cool. Good luck finding a color to paint the piano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste and Jilly,
    what a fun idea! Saw small lights the other day at Ikea and thought to myself what could I do with those. Now I know:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the piano! Yes, I hear you. Paint it if you feel like it, maybe take a picture of it and go wild on the computer first. Guess how I know...

    Eva

    ReplyDelete